This time next year, a pioneering new ship will be taking its maiden voyage. It will be only 20,000 tons and carry just 200 passengers, but it promises to have a major impact on the way we view expedition cruising. In many ways, adventure-style cruising is still in its infancy. Companies like Aurora Expeditions, G […]
Tag Archives | New ships
Sir Douglas Mawson was a genuine Australian hero. A geologist, academic and Antarctic explorer, he rightly deserves to have his name alongside the likes of Amundsen, Shackleton and Scott. As well as being one of the foremost adventurers of his time, pioneering the exploration and geographic mapping of large parts of the world’s southernmost continent, […]
When Sidney De Haan was casting around for ideas to keep his Folkestone hotel in business in the 1950s, he wasn’t thinking about global brands, disruption marketing, direct sales or any other fancy terminology used in the travel business today. The WWII war hero was simply trying to find ways to keep the Rhodesia Hotel […]
We have a bit of a conundrum for you this week, darlings: When is First Class travel not, actually, First Class travel? You would think the cruise world would be ideally placed to answer this particular puzzle, seeing as how it was based on a multi-class experience for more than 100 years. Travelling First […]
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before – it’s a great year to be looking for a luxury cruise. Yes, we know. It was the subject of our blog just a few weeks ago in January, where we were looking ahead to the whole of 2019. We have no great wish to keep sounding […]
It’s a line that has been sung by the likes of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey and Nat King Cole, not to mention Ringo Starr, Tina Charles and Jeff Lynne, but can it also be applied to a cruise ship? Love, of course, is most definitely a many-splendored thing (thanks to the 1955 Oscar-winning […]
The poet Robert Browning first coined the phrase in 1855. Architect Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe (now there’s a name to conjure with) picked it up and ran with it in the 20th century, and countless others have used it to varying degrees of success ever since. ‘Less is more’ has become the mantra of the […]
Count us in, darlings. We can certainly wait, especially given the propensity of the current summer to either bake us or drown us at equally short notice. 2020, you say? No problem, we reply. Count us in. We are, of course, referring to the latest, gorgeous and oh-so-inviting possibilities for the forthcoming new Crystal […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Shakespeare said it first but William Holden and Jennifer Jones set more hearts racing with their interpretation of it, thanks to their performance in the 1955 Oscar-winning romantic blockbuster Love Is A Many Splendored Thing. It was pretty racy for its time (although subsequent stories that the two stars hated […]
We had to chortle. It’s something we’ve been saying for years, in the forlorn hope that someone, somewhere would pay attention and raise the issue in The Press (as we used to call it. Nowadays, it’s more likely to be Faceblock, or Tweetie Pie, or some such similar nonsense). Anyway, there we were enjoying our […]
- Cruise Highlights of 2019! 13/12/2019
- British Travel Awards – The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 04/12/2019
- Paul Gauguin Cruises’ Expansion Plans 27/11/2019
- 10 Reasons To Take A Disney Cruise 21/11/2019
- The Delights of a Christmas Cruise! 14/11/2019
- The Cruise Difference – Now & Then 06/11/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...