The port of Cleveland is at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River on Lake Erie. It is the third largest port in the Great Lakes, and is adjacent to the actual city of Cleveland. The port handles the majority of raw material shipments for regional manufacturing, as well as exporting some local resources. In 2000 the population of Cleveland was estimated at 478,403.
Cleveland was founded in 1796, and was named after General Moses Cleaveland. The spelling of the name was later changed in 1831, when the ‘a’ was dropped so the name could fit onto a newspapers masthead.