Andernach is a town in the district of Mayen-Koblenz, in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany of currently about 30,000 inhabitants which are named der/die Andernacher (male singular and plural forms are identical), and the lady/-ies are die Andernacherin/-nen (singular/plural forms). It is situated towards the end of the Neuwied basin on the left Rhine bank between the former tiny fishing village Fornich in the north and the mouth of the small river Nette in the south east, just 13 miles north of Koblenz with its five external town districts Kell, Miesenheim, Eich, Namedy, and Bad TÃ ¶nisstein. A few hundred meters downstream of Andernach the Rhine valley narrows from both sides forming the northern part of the romantic Middle Rhine stretch. Already in Roman times the place the narrow passage begins was named "Porta Antunnacensis" or Andernachian Gate. It is formed by two hills, the Krahnenberg (engl. Crane hill) and the Engwetter (Narrow weather) on the right bank near the wine village Leutesdorf (external town district of Bad HÃ ¶nningen). The crane hill is named after the old crane beneath his foot (see below); in earlier times (until 1650) the hill was named "Geiersberg" ("Vulture hill").