Heavy weather at sea is no joke. It ruins the pool-side ambience and threatens to upset the contents of our cocktails (not to mention the stomachs of those less conditioned to nautical travels). It often cancels port-calls – notably on our most recent Caribbean jaunt, when it was just too damn lively to tender ashore […]
Just in case anyone hadn’t noticed, cruising is Our Thing. It’s what we do, the holiday choice that is always No.1, 2 and 3 for us, and we are pretty much happy sailing the briny in any kind of vessel. Until the mega-ships came along. Prior to 1996, the world’s largest cruise vessel was the […]
What’s in a cocktail? We ask because, it seems, just about anything now goes in to the world of mixed drinks aboard the cruise lines. The competition to be bolder, brighter and more colourful is apparently all the rage. Take Sex On The Beach. The drink, darlings, not the questionable gymnastics. It is basically all […]
Tenny loves his sea days. Give him a ship that does nothing but poodle around the ocean going nowhere and he’s in maritime heaven. Trivia in the sports bar? He’s there. Ice carving demonstrations or a lecture on the joys of photographing tropical birds? Why not? Martini tasting session? He wouldn’t miss it. Alright, neither […]
Picture the scene – half an hour from sailing, and you’re on the other side of the city, trying to find a taxi. In the pouring rain. At night. And you don’t speak the language. Welcome to Istanbul on a near-disastrous Friday evening, several years ago. It was the cruise line’s fault, of course. Who […]
Enter a land rich with cultural icons and incomparable natural wonders. The multi-colored miracle of the Great Barrier Reef, the sun-swept splendor of Sydney Harbour and the soaring majesty of Milford Sound make fitting backdrops for Seabourn Encore’s debut. An astonishing variety of sights await you: towering peaks, steaming geysers and sprawling vineyards, mighty fjords […]
We met up with some dear, dear friends recently and were reminiscing – as one does over a gin and tonic or three – about our cruise memories of the “rebirth” of cruising in the 1980s and 90s. For those who are relatively new to the whole idea of hedonistic holidays of a sea-going nature, […]
Did you catch last week’s Royal news? Apparently, Prince Phillip will no longer perform official functions. It begs the question, how will anyone tell the difference? But the Old Boy has probably earned his ‘retirement.’ After all, there aren’t many 95-year-olds still on active duty, even if they do have footmen to hold them up […]
Fed up with the election yet? Yes, we thought so. If we hear a politician start the phrase “I believe in…” one more time while speaking with all the energy of a dead AA battery, we will run screaming from the house. Yes, we all know Theresa May is an “unelected leader,” but we don’t […]
- Jamaica Me Crazy 19/10/2017
- Name That Line! 12/10/2017
- Playing Favourites 28/09/2017
- Don’t be THAT Cruiser 21/09/2017
- Return To Cartagena 14/09/2017
- Weigh Anchor – And Retire! 07/09/2017
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- Treadwell & Tenny: Aha! Great insight, Gun Ainm. We could only find ...
- Gun Ainm: As a Scottish Gaelic speaker I've been asked abou...
- Treadwell & Tenny: We quite like that. Has the ring of history to it....
- Jean palmer: New ship name victory...
- Vera Veness: Have a heart, I love those animals. Not too enamo...
- Treadwell: I promise you, Tenny still has plenty of spring in...