Stralsund, city (1994 pop. 69,230), Mecklenburg'West Pomerania, NE Germany, on the Strelasund (an inlet of the Baltic Sea), opposite Ragen Island. It is an industrial center and seaport, with shipyards and major fishing and fish-processing industries. Founded in 1209, Stralsund became (late 13th cent.) a leading member of the Hanseatic League. The Treaty of Stralsund (1370) between Denmark and the league was signed there. In the Thirty Years War, Stralsund withstood (1628) a siege by Wallenstein. It was aided by Danish, then by Swedish, troops, and at the Peace of Westphalia (1648) it passed to Sweden. The city was taken by the French in 1807 and passed to Denmark by the Treaty of Kiel (1814) and to Prussia at the Congress of Vienna (1814'15). It was heavily damaged in World War II. Noteworthy buildings include the Church of St. Nicholas (13th'14th cent.), the city hall (13th'14th cent.), and several medieval gates. The chemist K. W. Scheele was born (1742) there.