Tenny & Treadwell’s look back at 2018… The brief was pretty simple. Just give us your thoughts on the cruise year in review, our editor said. You know, all the highlights of cruising from the past 12 months, the new ships, cruises and what not. Highlights? Us? What was he thinking? Asking us to do […]
Tag Archives | Silversea Cruises
By Simon & Susan Veness We all know that cruise ships have increased in size in the last 20 years or so, dramatically in many cases. Where 100,000 tons was once considered gargantuan, it is now merely ‘mid-size’ to some cruise lines. This point came home loud and clear this week as the busy Meyer […]
It’s commonplace in many businesses that the takeover of a small, boutique company by a larger conglomerate often rings the death-knell for the original operator, and that fans of the original business end up in mourning for a ‘lost’ star. Therefore, devotees of Silversea Cruises may well have been more than a touch apprehensive […]
It’s a common enough phrase, and it’s increasingly in usage in the travel business. “It’s a small world,” has applied ever since Mr Boeing and his jet-plane friends sent ever-larger numbers of people flying around the world with greater and greater rapidity. The world has, indeed, become distinctly ‘small’ in many senses as travel has […]
Simon and Susan are away this week (somewhere in the wilds of Michigan, we think; we know there are lakes there, so hopefully they are still getting their cruise on), hence we have been asked to take over the weekly blog with something suitable (amidst various caveats about sticking to the topic, not wandering off […]
The Cruise Line’s Managing Director Robin Maclear recently returned from celebrating 10 years of Silversea Expeditions on Silver Cloud… I recently spent two days aboard Silversea Expeditions’ newly-renovated Silver Cloud. The occasion, which was attended by many old friends and clients, was to mark Silversea’s 10 year anniversary as the pioneers of luxury expedition cruising. […]
Napoleon Solo. The Lone Ranger. Han Solo. All were lumbered with a name that marked them out for the single life. Only that’s not quite how it worked out. Napoleon was best buddies with Illya Kuryakin. Tonto was always there for the Lone Ranger. And Star Wars fans can’t think of Han without his constant […]
It was the bally butler that did it. There we were, sticking rigidly to the old Doctor’s Orders with our diet, and along comes our stateroom butler with daily hors d’oeuvres and suddenly everything’s gone to hell in a canapé basket. We should have expected it, of course. It’s all very well having the MO […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Anyone who followed our extensive Silver Muse ‘Live’ presentation for The Cruise Line last month will already know that we loved our time aboard the Silversea flagship. It more than lived up to expectations, and gave us one of our best luxury cruises anywhere. But we thought it would be […]
Day Nine: Cruise Log | Key West, Florida If there is one place in the world that is epitomised by the word ‘eclectic,’ it is Key West at the very southern tip of Florida. This bustling tourist centre that is just 105 miles from Havana revels in its idiosyncratic, even bizarre, nature, and it makes […]
- Amster-dammit – A New Cruise Controversy 09/01/2019
- Top 10 Cruise Questions 02/01/2019
- Get Ready For A Cruise-Tastic 2019! 24/12/2018
- 2018 Cruise Review: That Was The Year That Was 18/12/2018
- 10 Best Mediterranean Cruises for 2019 13/12/2018
- Top 10 European River Cruises for 2019 06/12/2018
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...