By Simon & Susan Veness No-one can truly put their finger on the Who or When of this issue, but it’s largely a moot point. The fact is, alternative dining restaurants have become an established fact of cruising in the past 15 years or so, and we are all the better for it. In reality, […]
Tag Archives | Seabourn Cruises
Okay, cruise aficionados, we’re going to put you to the test this week. We know the majority of you are well-travelled cruisers with multiple voyages under your collective belts. We also know you’re extremely discerning when it comes to holidays at sea, and you value the better things in the cruise world, with an instinctive […]
We were slightly taken aback by the question. We’re totally used to fielding all kinds of queries about our favourite pastime in the snug bar of The Bloated Goat, but this one gave us pause for thought. Several pauses, in point of fact. It was simple enough. “What is a cruise actually like?” asked […]
By Simon & Susan Veness We all know that cruise ships have increased in size in the last 20 years or so, dramatically in many cases. Where 100,000 tons was once considered gargantuan, it is now merely ‘mid-size’ to some cruise lines. This point came home loud and clear this week as the busy Meyer […]
It’s a common enough phrase, and it’s increasingly in usage in the travel business. “It’s a small world,” has applied ever since Mr Boeing and his jet-plane friends sent ever-larger numbers of people flying around the world with greater and greater rapidity. The world has, indeed, become distinctly ‘small’ in many senses as travel has […]
Simon and Susan are away this week (somewhere in the wilds of Michigan, we think; we know there are lakes there, so hopefully they are still getting their cruise on), hence we have been asked to take over the weekly blog with something suitable (amidst various caveats about sticking to the topic, not wandering off […]
Suddenly, it’s the hot ticket in Cruise Town. We’ve seen it develop steadily in the past 15 years, but now expedition cruising is taking off like one of Elon Musk’s Falcon Heavy rockets at the Kennedy Space Center. Originally, there were companies like Lindblad Travel in the US (1966), Canada’s G Adventures (1990), Seattle-based Quark […]
Napoleon Solo. The Lone Ranger. Han Solo. All were lumbered with a name that marked them out for the single life. Only that’s not quite how it worked out. Napoleon was best buddies with Illya Kuryakin. Tonto was always there for the Lone Ranger. And Star Wars fans can’t think of Han without his constant […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Shuffleboard and deck quoits have largely been consigned to the dustbin of history in cruising terms – very sadly for those (like us!) who still remember keen ocean-going tournaments that enlivened long, languid sea days in the past. True, a few lines do still maintain these venerable maritime traditions, providing […]
Cruising’s remarkable upward trend hits a new high in 2018 when there are no less than sixteen new cruise ships set to make their ocean-going debut, at a total value of a record $8.4billion. That figure of sixteen is remarkable enough on its own, while the $8.4b figure is also eye-catching as it improves on […]
- All Hail, SeaDream’s Innovation! 11/09/2019
- Helen Mirren Christens Scenic Eclipse 11/09/2019
- Appeal For The Bahamas 06/09/2019
- Top 10 Alternative Dining Restaurants At Sea 29/08/2019
- Farewell, Oriana – Queen of a New Age 21/08/2019
- Expedition Cruising Crystal Class 15/08/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...