By Simon & Susan Veness No-one can truly put their finger on the Who or When of this issue, but it’s largely a moot point. The fact is, alternative dining restaurants have become an established fact of cruising in the past 15 years or so, and we are all the better for it. In reality, […]
Tag Archives | Cunard
Okay, cruise aficionados, we’re going to put you to the test this week. We know the majority of you are well-travelled cruisers with multiple voyages under your collective belts. We also know you’re extremely discerning when it comes to holidays at sea, and you value the better things in the cruise world, with an instinctive […]
For an aspect of the travel industry with more than 150 years of history and tradition behind it, cruising sometimes gives the impression it remains pretty traditional and hidebound. But nothing could be further from the truth. The amazing development of the modern cruise ship, with its overflowing array of features and amenities – many […]
A conversation at Treadwell & Tenny Towers, Sussex, sometime in November 2018 Tenny: Bugger it, Treadwell old girl. Where the hell did you put my glasses this time? I just put them down a moment ago and now they’re gone. Treadwell: *Long suffering* They’re on your head, darling. Tenny: What? Where was that, you say? […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Fashion week. Baseball. Science fiction. Legends of wrestling. 1970s rock music. What do all of these things have in common? You can find each and every one of them on a themed cruise. It used to be the case that a ‘themed’ cruise meant one of only a handful of […]
Who Invented Cruise Ships? By Simon & Susan Veness The provenance of the very first cruise ship is probably lost in the mists of time. It might have been a Phoenician trader who, fed up with the daily grind of dealing in Tyrian purple, set his sights beyond the Mediterranean for a little jaunt to […]
By Simon & Susan Veness If like us, you already have one eye on next year in sea-going terms, you might like to consider some of the intriguing new options for cruises in 2019, as there are an array of really original voyages on offer. With so many high-quality ships to choose from these days, […]
It’s a common enough phrase, and it’s increasingly in usage in the travel business. “It’s a small world,” has applied ever since Mr Boeing and his jet-plane friends sent ever-larger numbers of people flying around the world with greater and greater rapidity. The world has, indeed, become distinctly ‘small’ in many senses as travel has […]
Everyone can remember their first time. It’s that wide-eyed moment of startling realisation, a wonderful curtain-raising revelation of new frontiers and excitement. There is simply nothing like that first-time cruise experience. *Muttering from the audience* Cruising – we’re talking about cruising, madam. What did you think we were on about? Really. Elevate your thinking, please. […]
Napoleon Solo. The Lone Ranger. Han Solo. All were lumbered with a name that marked them out for the single life. Only that’s not quite how it worked out. Napoleon was best buddies with Illya Kuryakin. Tonto was always there for the Lone Ranger. And Star Wars fans can’t think of Han without his constant […]
- All Hail, SeaDream’s Innovation! 11/09/2019
- Helen Mirren Christens Scenic Eclipse 11/09/2019
- Appeal For The Bahamas 06/09/2019
- Top 10 Alternative Dining Restaurants At Sea 29/08/2019
- Farewell, Oriana – Queen of a New Age 21/08/2019
- Expedition Cruising Crystal Class 15/08/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...