This time next year, a pioneering new ship will be taking its maiden voyage. It will be only 20,000 tons and carry just 200 passengers, but it promises to have a major impact on the way we view expedition cruising. In many ways, adventure-style cruising is still in its infancy. Companies like Aurora Expeditions, G […]
Tag Archives | Crystal Cruises
Okay, cruise aficionados, we’re going to put you to the test this week. We know the majority of you are well-travelled cruisers with multiple voyages under your collective belts. We also know you’re extremely discerning when it comes to holidays at sea, and you value the better things in the cruise world, with an instinctive […]
For an aspect of the travel industry with more than 150 years of history and tradition behind it, cruising sometimes gives the impression it remains pretty traditional and hidebound. But nothing could be further from the truth. The amazing development of the modern cruise ship, with its overflowing array of features and amenities – many […]
Here’s an interesting little cruise conundrum that occurred to us this week: when is a World Cruise not a World Cruise? The answer comes from the distinguished style of Crystal Cruises, who have just announced a new series of Grand Journeys, sailings that look and feel a lot like a world voyage but which don’t […]
There’s no business like cruise business, or so it seems these days, following this week’s announcement of the annual figures and yearly review from the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). We’ve known it for more than 20 years, but the latest statistics still make for eye-catching reading, as they hint at ever-greater growth – in […]
It all started with a simple enough question: What do you most remember about a cruise? A pretty straightforward query, you’d think. But it genuinely set us thinking. Now, the back-story to this is the fact we’re seen as the ‘old codgers’ of our local – the Methuselahs of the Snug Bar, the Galapagos tortoises […]
It was Emperor Claudius II who took a strong dislike to a young priest by the name of Valentinus in the year 269, to such an extent that he had the prospective martyr beheaded for refusing to denounce Jesus Christ. Prior to his death, Valentinus is said to have cured his jailor’s daughter of blindness, […]
Cole Porter said it best about this time of year, when you have the Golden Globes, the AACTAs, the SAGs and the Grammys (and, of course, the Oscars in a few weeks’ time): And that’s why birds do it, bees do it Even educated fleas do it Let’s do it, let’s…hand out Awards. Okay, […]
The New Year frequently ushers in multiple stories about new ships for the months ahead and, more recently, a raft of ship orders for the future. It’s a great time to be a shipyard, as well as a cruise passenger looking for the next option or having a maiden voyage to look forward to. 2019 […]
European river cruising has become big business in the overall scheme of things as far as the cruise world is concerned. Make that Big Business. Back in 2000, there were fewer than 150 vessels plying the waters of the Rhine, Danube, Rhone-Saone and Elbe-Oder, and they tended to be staid, rather old-fashioned and distinctly formulaic […]
- Expedition Cruising Crystal Class 15/08/2019
- Oceania Cruises Europe & North America 2021 14/08/2019
- Silversea’s New Moon Takes Shape 09/08/2019
- Who’s To Blame For The P&O Punch-Up? 05/08/2019
- Regent Seven Seas Voyages to Explore 31/07/2019
- The Blooming of Aurora 25/07/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...