There’s no business like cruise business, or so it seems these days, following this week’s announcement of the annual figures and yearly review from the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). We’ve known it for more than 20 years, but the latest statistics still make for eye-catching reading, as they hint at ever-greater growth – in […]
Tag Archives | Crystal Cruises
It all started with a simple enough question: What do you most remember about a cruise? A pretty straightforward query, you’d think. But it genuinely set us thinking. Now, the back-story to this is the fact we’re seen as the ‘old codgers’ of our local – the Methuselahs of the Snug Bar, the Galapagos tortoises […]
It was Emperor Claudius II who took a strong dislike to a young priest by the name of Valentinus in the year 269, to such an extent that he had the prospective martyr beheaded for refusing to denounce Jesus Christ. Prior to his death, Valentinus is said to have cured his jailor’s daughter of blindness, […]
Cole Porter said it best about this time of year, when you have the Golden Globes, the AACTAs, the SAGs and the Grammys (and, of course, the Oscars in a few weeks’ time): And that’s why birds do it, bees do it Even educated fleas do it Let’s do it, let’s…hand out Awards. Okay, […]
The New Year frequently ushers in multiple stories about new ships for the months ahead and, more recently, a raft of ship orders for the future. It’s a great time to be a shipyard, as well as a cruise passenger looking for the next option or having a maiden voyage to look forward to. 2019 […]
European river cruising has become big business in the overall scheme of things as far as the cruise world is concerned. Make that Big Business. Back in 2000, there were fewer than 150 vessels plying the waters of the Rhine, Danube, Rhone-Saone and Elbe-Oder, and they tended to be staid, rather old-fashioned and distinctly formulaic […]
A conversation at Treadwell & Tenny Towers, Sussex, sometime in November 2018 Tenny: Bugger it, Treadwell old girl. Where the hell did you put my glasses this time? I just put them down a moment ago and now they’re gone. Treadwell: *Long suffering* They’re on your head, darling. Tenny: What? Where was that, you say? […]
I was recently lucky enough to experience a four-night sailing from Passau to Vienna aboard one of Crystal River Cruises’ newest ships, the 106-guest capacity Crystal Ravel. Having only ever cruised on ocean-going, luxury cruise lines, I was extremely excited to see how river cruising with Crystal compared. Following a short flight to Munich, we […]
How do you improve on six-star style? Seriously, how do you take one of the very best cruise experiences and add to it, enhancing the essence of what it is and what it does? Those were the questions that immediately occurred to us when we heard earlier this year about the huge refurbishment that Crystal […]
The poet Robert Browning first coined the phrase in 1855. Architect Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe (now there’s a name to conjure with) picked it up and ran with it in the 20th century, and countless others have used it to varying degrees of success ever since. ‘Less is more’ has become the mantra of the […]
- Eight Dining Delights On A Mediterranean Cruise 25/04/2019
- Cruise, Cruise, Glorious Cruise 18/04/2019
- This Year’s Top Alaskan Adventure Cruises 11/04/2019
- Want Great Memories? Take A Cruise! 04/04/2019
- SeaDream’s Luxury Expansion 27/03/2019
- A Many-Splendored Regent 21/03/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...