It’s a common enough phrase, and it’s increasingly in usage in the travel business. “It’s a small world,” has applied ever since Mr Boeing and his jet-plane friends sent ever-larger numbers of people flying around the world with greater and greater rapidity. The world has, indeed, become distinctly ‘small’ in many senses as travel has […]
Tag Archives | Cruise
Everyone can remember their first time. It’s that wide-eyed moment of startling realisation, a wonderful curtain-raising revelation of new frontiers and excitement. There is simply nothing like that first-time cruise experience. *Muttering from the audience* Cruising – we’re talking about cruising, madam. What did you think we were on about? Really. Elevate your thinking, please. […]
Simon and Susan are away this week (somewhere in the wilds of Michigan, we think; we know there are lakes there, so hopefully they are still getting their cruise on), hence we have been asked to take over the weekly blog with something suitable (amidst various caveats about sticking to the topic, not wandering off […]
After a full week aboard Wind Surf, the gorgeous flagship of Windstar Cruises, it is only fair that we sum up the experience by highlighting our Top 10 aspects of this unique cruise vessel. It may be almost 30 years old, but Wind Surf provides a timeless definition of classic cruising, a refined, gracious and […]
Cruise log – Le Lavandou, France It’s the last full day of our Wind Surf experience, and we’re determined to make the most of it before we have to disembark for the flight home in Nice tomorrow. Unusually, we remained at anchor off St Tropez until 7am, and then set sail for the cute little […]
Today we are in the uber-chic French seaside resort of St Tropez, the playground of celebs and wannabe-celebs worldwide. It is massively chic and wildly expensive, especially if you want to shop. It is also the perfect summer spot for a bit of idle wandering, stopping for a bite to eat (we recommend the […]
The last time we were in Monte Carlo, the doorman at the famous Casino took one look at us and declared, “Non.” Admittedly we were distinctly bedraggled and decidedly not dressed to impress, but we did expect at least to be able to peep inside the doors at the rich and famous gambling away the […]
DAY 2: Elba, Portoferraio According to the old adage, you only get one chance to make a first impression but, on board Wind Surf, that is simply not the case. So far, there are at least four major impressions of the initial kind, and all have been unfailingly positive. Yesterday, of course, was embarkation day, […]
DAY 1: Embarkation – Civitavecchia (Rome) You absolutely know you are on the right maritime track when your transfer brings you into port and your vessel sticks out from the cruise crowd in the same way that Michaelangelo differs from The Beano. Yes, there were other ships already docked in Civitavecchia, the port for Rome, […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Shakespeare said it first but William Holden and Jennifer Jones set more hearts racing with their interpretation of it, thanks to their performance in the 1955 Oscar-winning romantic blockbuster Love Is A Many Splendored Thing. It was pretty racy for its time (although subsequent stories that the two stars hated […]
- South Pacific Cruise Guide 16/08/2018
- A Silversea Takeover? Never Fear! 09/08/2018
- An Endeavor We Can Fully Support! 02/08/2018
- 5 Up-And-Coming Cruise Destinations 25/07/2018
- Best Cruises for First-timers 19/07/2018
- Why Alaska Should Be On Your Cruise Radar 12/07/2018
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...
- Simon Veness: It was a great boarding experience and got the tri...
- Sans Spinks: Seems as though they have boarding down to a T ins...