A Treadwell & Tenny Look Ahead to 2020 Back in our dim and distant youth, we fondly remember a cartoon featuring Tweety Pie and Sylvester where the hapless feline of the story was whisked aboard a ship and found himself at the mercy of some rough seas. Whenever he was in a position to make […]
Archive | Hurtigruten RSS feed for this section
Imagine our disgust. There we were enjoying our usual breakfast of a hard-boiled egg and kippers (for him) and a croissant with Harrods marmalade (her), when up popped a message in our Inbox marked ‘British Travel Awards Winners!’ We thought a little gentle information would help the digestion, but what we saw was enough to […]
By Simon & Susan Veness Here at Veness Towers, we like to look ahead as much as possible, partly because looking back gives us a crick in the neck but also because we hate to see how much of the year has already passed (especially as the Christmas adverts are already on TV). It’s a […]
This week, we’re taking a look at what makes Hurtigruten’s MS Roald Amundsen a contender for the title of The World’s Greenest Cruise Ship… Here’s a question for you – what if you could cruise with minimum addition to your carbon footprint, sailing the seas without adding to the pollution plaguing the world’s oceans and […]
By Simon & Susan Veness It’s no secret that we think cruising is the best holiday anyone can take. We have been devoted to the idea of sea-going sabbaticals ever since Simon first set foot on a ship back in 1969, when his family sailed from Durban to Southampton on the old SA Vaal of […]
Yes, it’s that time of year already when we’re looking at leftover turkey, stale mince pies, a bottle of cheap wine that we’re never likely to drink (but which our beer-drinking neighbours thought was “nice to look at”), the remains of a tin of Quality Street with just the godawful toffees left, plus all the […]
Tenny & Treadwell’s look back at 2018… The brief was pretty simple. Just give us your thoughts on the cruise year in review, our editor said. You know, all the highlights of cruising from the past 12 months, the new ships, cruises and what not. Highlights? Us? What was he thinking? Asking us to do […]
French company Ponant Cruises was fined $70,000 this week for the unintentional grounding of its ship L’Austral on a sub-Arctic island just off New Zealand in January 2017. The ship’s captain, Regis Daumesnil, was fined an additional $30,000 for his role in the incident. It’s the kind of occurrence that grabs headlines and gets the […]
Hurtigruten, first established in the late 1800s, was initially used by the Norwegian government to help aid correspondence between the remotest parts of Norway’s vast and rather rugged coastline. Following a gradual fleet expansion and an increased focus on tourism throughout the last 30 years, this expert cruise line is now the leading operator for voyages […]
In December 2015, Paul Andrews, one of our Cruise Experts, embarked on a Hurtigruten Arctic Highlights Educational voyage to the far north of Norway. This was his journey… We met at Birmingham International Airport on a rather chilly December morning, to board our charter flight to Tromso, Norway, operated by Germania Airlines. There were only […]
- Pre-register for Tradewind Voyages 26/06/2020
- Getting Back To Cruising 21/04/2020
- Cruise On TV – April 2020 31/03/2020
- Why SeaDream? 12/03/2020
- Top Five Cruise Memories 12/03/2020
- This Is Virgin On The Ridiculous! 03/03/2020
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- Aegean Odyssey Review 21/11/2018
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- David Smith: Thank you for your kind words, Ursula - hopefully,...
- Ursula Higgs: I am 69 years old so not the market this ship is a...
- Johan Strydom: We have sailed on the Symphony of the Seas in 2019...
- R. E. Blouin: You really need to look up Albert Ballin. He was ...
- JV: Could not agree more. Cruised with Regent last Ju...
- Simon Veness: Many thanks for your comment. We will definitely b...