By Simon & Susan Veness Here at Veness Towers, we like to look ahead as much as possible, partly because looking back gives us a crick in the neck but also because we hate to see how much of the year has already passed (especially as the Christmas adverts are already on TV). It’s a […]
Archive | Hurtigruten RSS feed for this section
This week, we’re taking a look at what makes Hurtigruten’s MS Roald Amundsen a contender for the title of The World’s Greenest Cruise Ship… Here’s a question for you – what if you could cruise with minimum addition to your carbon footprint, sailing the seas without adding to the pollution plaguing the world’s oceans and […]
By Simon & Susan Veness It’s no secret that we think cruising is the best holiday anyone can take. We have been devoted to the idea of sea-going sabbaticals ever since Simon first set foot on a ship back in 1969, when his family sailed from Durban to Southampton on the old SA Vaal of […]
Yes, it’s that time of year already when we’re looking at leftover turkey, stale mince pies, a bottle of cheap wine that we’re never likely to drink (but which our beer-drinking neighbours thought was “nice to look at”), the remains of a tin of Quality Street with just the godawful toffees left, plus all the […]
Tenny & Treadwell’s look back at 2018… The brief was pretty simple. Just give us your thoughts on the cruise year in review, our editor said. You know, all the highlights of cruising from the past 12 months, the new ships, cruises and what not. Highlights? Us? What was he thinking? Asking us to do […]
French company Ponant Cruises was fined $70,000 this week for the unintentional grounding of its ship L’Austral on a sub-Arctic island just off New Zealand in January 2017. The ship’s captain, Regis Daumesnil, was fined an additional $30,000 for his role in the incident. It’s the kind of occurrence that grabs headlines and gets the […]
Hurtigruten, first established in the late 1800s, was initially used by the Norwegian government to help aid correspondence between the remotest parts of Norway’s vast and rather rugged coastline. Following a gradual fleet expansion and an increased focus on tourism throughout the last 30 years, this expert cruise line is now the leading operator for voyages […]
In December 2015, Paul Andrews, one of our Cruise Experts, embarked on a Hurtigruten Arctic Highlights Educational voyage to the far north of Norway. This was his journey… We met at Birmingham International Airport on a rather chilly December morning, to board our charter flight to Tromso, Norway, operated by Germania Airlines. There were only […]
In April, our Marketing Manager Debbie enjoyed a wonderful trip from Bergen with Hurtigruten and this is how she got on… After a short flight with Norwegian Air from Gatwick to Bergen, we were warmly greeted by the Hurtigruten team and swiftly transferred by coach on a tour of Troldhaugen, the former home of classical composer […]
The steamer, DS Vesteraalen marked the beginning of the birth of Hurtigruten in 1893, as she offered a regular service along the Norwegian coast. 120 years later and Hurtigruten is at the top of its game – with 11 ships offering voyages to some superb destinations, including Greenland, Antarctica, Iceland and of course, Norway. Hurtigruten […]
- The Cruise Difference – Now & Then 06/11/2019
- Best Places To Celebrate Halloween On A Cruise! 30/10/2019
- Cruise Gratuities – What Are They & How Do They Work? 24/10/2019
- 10 Reasons To Cruise With Seabourn 17/10/2019
- 10 New Cruise Ships For 2020 11/10/2019
- Spas At Sea – Regent Take The Next Step 03/10/2019
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- RobinMaclear: I completely agree Krista! Glad you enjoyed it as ...
- Krista Bluesmith: I was on the cruise! It was awesome and the histor...
- Simon Veness: Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment and yes, we can...
- AmandaB: I am a huge fan of Silverseas, my next trip, in 20...
- David Smith: Glad you enjoyed the post, Mr Peel. One of our Voy...
- Tom Peel: We've used The Cruise line for several cruises on...