By Simon & Susan Veness A Roman martyr first created the famous heartfelt signature of love. Geoffrey Chaucer made it popular in the 14th century. And the tradition really took off in 18th century Britain with the addition of flowers, confectionery and greeting cards. We refer, of course, to Valentine’s Day – or the Feast […]
Archive | Cruise Destinations RSS feed for this section
By Simon & Susan Veness Shuffleboard and deck quoits have largely been consigned to the dustbin of history in cruising terms – very sadly for those (like us!) who still remember keen ocean-going tournaments that enlivened long, languid sea days in the past. True, a few lines do still maintain these venerable maritime traditions, providing […]
The expedition cruise scene has been undergoing a radical change in the past 10 years. Once the preserve of clunky, basic, no-frills ships, the adventuring side of cruising has enjoyed a massive shot in the arm from new tonnage like Silversea’s, Celebrity’s and Ponant’s. Even some of the mainstream lines, such as Crystal, Seabourn and […]
Most cruise ship visits in the Caribbean are about as routine as it gets. In the winter, this is the ‘Milk Run’ for cruise lines, the week-in, week-out routine that forms the basis of what they do. Cruising by numbers, if you like. Not this year. For large parts of the region, this is anything […]
BAHAMA-RAMA We’re in the Bahamas this week. Yes, we know, it’s a dirty rotten job, but someone simply has to do it. And, this week, it’s us. So let’s not have any rumblings and complaints of “Not fair,” etc. We’ve survived two weeks of winter, so we’re overdue for a break. Anyway, here we are, […]
We understand that when you book a cruise holiday, getting a case of some serious heebie-jeebies might not feature high on your list of considerations. However, with the nights getting longer and Halloween drawing ever closer, we have picked out our top five spookiest places to visit on a cruise should you wish to mix […]
We promised you a second story from our memorable recent visit to this Colombian port-city, so buckle up for another dose of South American style – and poignancy – just to prove Over The Yardarm is not just all fun and frolics. We have a serious side, sometimes, as Treadwell will now demonstrate… Now return […]
The Wonders of Norway Most people think that cruising is a relatively modern phenomenon. Dear old P&O Cruises claim to have kicked things off a recently as 1844, while the great ocean-going fleets of White Star Line, Cunard, Hamburg-America Line, Norddeutscher Lloyd and Inman Line burgeoned in the first half of the 20th century, closely […]
The Galapagos Islands have become a relatively recent fixture on many discerning travellers’ bucket-list. The captivating mixture of incredible wildlife, rugged landscapes and lack of human impact gives the region an air of being truly remote and utterly thrilling to explore. The islands location, situated roughly 880 miles off Ecuador’s western coastline and geography mean […]
Around The World In Days, And Days, And Days! Okay, it sounds glamorous, but would you do it? Seriously, would you take almost four months off from work/retirement/feeding the pigeons to circumnavigate the world by cruise ship? Could you even take that much time off? As much as we like to think of ourselves as […]
- The Ugly File 16/02/2018
- Cruising’s Top Valentine Hot-Spots 12/02/2018
- Our Top Five Sporting Cruises 31/01/2018
- We Resolve To Do More Cruising 26/01/2018
- Five Reasons To Love That Windstar Style 19/01/2018
- Expedition Cruises Are The New Black 11/01/2018
- Marina, you’ve gotta see her! 13/06/2013
- Small Ship Cruising 25/04/2012
- SeaDream Yacht Club Blog 30/09/2013
- EUROPA 2 – Try it, you WILL love it! 02/09/2014
- Baby Love – Tips For Cruising With Infants 12/02/2013
- MS Europa 2 Review 09/05/2013
- Treadwell & Tenny: Aha! Great insight, Gun Ainm. We could only find ...
- Gun Ainm: As a Scottish Gaelic speaker I've been asked abou...
- Treadwell & Tenny: We quite like that. Has the ring of history to it....
- Jean palmer: New ship name victory...
- Vera Veness: Have a heart, I love those animals. Not too enamo...
- Treadwell: I promise you, Tenny still has plenty of spring in...