Douro River Cruises
Discover Portugal's rural heartland on a Douro River cruise holiday...
Running for 556 miles, the Douro River flows between the Urbion Mountain region of Spain, and northern Portugal. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Douro is the third largest river in the Iberian Peninsula and a river cruise represents an excellent way to explore the famous Douro Valley wine region.
Douro River cruises depart from the vibrant city of Porto and offered by many of the world's most famous river cruise operators, including AmaWaterways, Scenic and Emerald Waterways. The majority of Douro River cruises are available to book on a seven-night basis; however, the option to extend with a two or three-night city break in Porto or Lisbon is recommended should you wish to stay in the region for longer.
Regardless of which line you choose, you can look forward to enjoying a river cruise through one of the world's most enchanting landscapes; past picturesque villages, historical landmarks and between the green sloping banks of vineyards which line the river's edge.
Best Time To Go On A Douro River Cruise
The best time to go on a Douro River cruise depends on your budget and how hot you like things, temperature-wise. If keeping the price down is essential, then booking for March, April, early-May and November is advisable. The spring/early-summer period is often when Douro River cruise fares are at their highest due to the popularity of the route during these times.
In terms of weather, those seeking cooler temperatures should head to the Douro in early spring and early autumn. If you don't do well in the heat, we'd recommend you avoid cruising during late-July and August as it can be extremely hot and humid.
Why choose a Douro River Cruise:
- Douro River cruises are a great way to see rural Portugal - home to some of the most majestic scenery in Europe.
- There are fantastic shore excursions available with all operators - visit wineries, enjoy walking tours and explore hidden gems such as the city of Vila Nova de Gaia.
- There’s no night cruising, so all journeys are undertaken during the day, which means you have plenty of time to relax and enjoy your ship’s facilities.
- You can also extend your stay with a city break in Porto, Lisbon or Madrid (depending on the itinerary you choose).
Douro River Cruise Offers
We currently have several fantastic offers available on Douro River cruises departing in 2019:
- Scenic: Best price guaranteed when you book within sixty days of sailing View Voyages
- Emerald Waterways: Best price guaranteed when you book within sixty days of sailing View Voyages
- AmaWaterways: Save 25% and receive free flights on selected departure dates View Voyages
Book your Douro River cruise with us today!
If you would like further information regarding cruising the Douro River, or if you would like a quote for a future voyage, please call 0800 008 6677 or make an online enquiry for one of the cruises below.