Isla Culebra is an island-municipality of Puerto Rico originally called Isla Pasaje and Isla de San Idelfonso. It is located approximately seventeen miles east of the Puerto Rican mainland, twelve miles west of St. Thomas and nine miles north of Vieques. Culebra is spread over 5 wards and Culebra (Dewey) Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). The island is also known as Isla Chiquita (Little Island) and Ultima Virgen (Last Virgin). Culebra was first settled in 1880 by Cayetano Escudero Sanz. Residents of the island are known as Culebrenses.