Cochem is probably the finest looking castle and scene directly on the banks of the Mosel river. The castle enjoys a commanding view over the Mosel and the town of Cochem. However even with the commanding view and the steep access to the castle history has not been kind to the original. It was siezed by the German emperor in 1151 and in 1294 was mortgaged to the archbishop of Trier.
The square tower visible at the center of the castle is the keep that served as a last gasp refuge for its residents when the battle created a serious threat of breach by the enemy. This did in fact happen in 1689 when King Louis XIV of France had the castle totally destroyed. It remained a ruin for about 200 years.
It was completely rebuilt by a Berlin merchant, Louise Ravene, according to the original plans. So, while the structure may not be the original, the plans are true to the original. It was sold by force to the German government in 1942 and since 1978 has been the property of the town of Cochem.