Located in the southern park of Taiwan, the city of Kaohsiung is the island's largest industrial center. It has stayed abreast of Taiwan's recent progress and prosperity; expanding and modernizing, the city strides into the 21st century as a newly emerging international metropolis. Beginning centuries ago, Kaohsiung was called "Dagou" or "Dahgu ,"transliterated from the name of local aborigines. Disturbed by the violence of pirates, in 1563,the "Takuo" tribe eventually moved to the site of present-day Pingtung city. This name persisted until 1920,when the city's name was changed to Kaohsiung.